SBIRT is a comprehensive, integrated, public health approach to the delivery of early intervention and treatment services
- For persons with substance use disorders
- Those who are at risk of developing these disorders
Primary care centers, trauma centers, and other community settings provide opportunities for early intervention with at-risk substance users.
SBIRT: Review of Key Terms
Screening: Very brief set of questions that identifies risk of substance use related problems.
Brief Intervention: Brief counseling that raises awareness of risks and motivates client toward acknowledgement of problem.
Referral: Procedures to help patients access specialized care.
- Increase access to care for persons with substance use disorders and those at risk of substance use disorders.
- Foster a continuum of care by integrating prevention, intervention, and treatment services.
- Improve linkages between health care services and alcohol/drug treatment services.